Join us in making cultural heritage a European priority. Together we will promote sustainable development and quality standards in urban and rural planning. Together we will safeguard our cities, our countryside and our historical, architectural and archaeological sites. Together, we will demonstrate that our cultural heritage is a key asset to Europe’s society and economy, and is essential to our identity and quality of life. Europa Nostra is your connection to the European Union, the Council of Europe and UNESCO.
Europa Nostra endeavours to mobilise public opinion in defence of serious and urgent threats to heritage, and to influence relevant policy-makers, at national or European level.
Our Activities in Brussels
Europa Nostra and the European Union institutions have a strong relationship. Our lobbying activities are carried out from our Brussels office in the very heart of the European quarter.
Meeting representatives of European Institutions
Key decision makers of the European Union and European institutions, among others:
- Androulla Vassiliou, Member of the European Commission in charge of Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth, and the members of the Directorate General Culture;
- Members of the European Parliament and especially the members of the Committee on Culture and Education, including the Chairwoman, Mrs Doris Pack;
- The Secretary General of the Committee of the Regions Dr. Gerhard Stahl;
- Directorates General of the European Commission, including Enlargement, Environment, Industry and Entrepreneurship and Agriculture and Rural Development;
Building a wider network
Meeting with European civil society organisations, establishing partnerships and common strategies;
- Liasion meetings with the representatives of European/International networks or organisations active in the wider field of heritage to explore ways to strengthen together the Voice of Cultural Heritage in Europe;
- Active contribution to the European Heritage Label initiative and Commission proposals;
Participation to policy making
Drafting legislation, Responding to consultation, supplying information
- Contribution to the EC consultation on the Green Paper on Cultural and Creative Industries;
- Participation at numerous European meetings of relevance to Cultural Heritage in Brussels and in the whole of Europe;
- Organisation of an experts round table on the Common Agricultural Policy reform which ended in a joint statement entitled “Europe’s living landscapes: Cultural heritage as a force for rural development”, and active follow-up;