Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism Awards 2021: Apply by 1 June
The 2021 edition of the Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism Awards is now open for applications. The theme of the fourth edition of the Awards is “Regenerating European Tourism through Culture, Heritage and Creativity”.
The Awards scheme is organised by the European Cultural Tourism Network (ECTN) in partnership with Europa Nostra, the European Travel Commission and NECSTouR, with the aim of encouraging the development of sustainable tourism destinations around Europe. It was launched during the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 and seeks to contribute to its legacy.
The 2021 Awards will be given for achievements by cultural tourism destinations which have produced significant results related to enhancing visitor experience while respecting traditions and involving local communities.
The Awards scheme is open to all tourist destinations across Europe: national, regional and local authorities, tourism boards and associations, destination management organisations, museums, interpretation centres, cultural routes, festivals and cultural NGOs.
Applications for the 2021 edition can be submitted under six categories:
- Archaeological Sites and Museums as Cultural Tourism Attractions
- Walking Tourism and Slow Travel – Synergies with Cultural Tourism, supported by ‘Via Francigena’ cultural route of the Council of Europe
- Digitalisation in Sustainable Cultural Tourism, towards Smart Destinations
- Transnational Thematic Tourism Products, including European Cultural Routes
- Cultural and Creative Industries (CCIs) contribution to Cultural and Creative Tourism development, in the framework of the ‘International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development 2021’ and Interreg Europe Cult-CreaTE project, supported by ‘Creative Tourism Network’
- Railway Heritage Assets for Cultural Tourism, in the framework of the ‘European Year of Rail 2021’
For more information about the 2021 Awards and how to apply, please visit the ECTN website, where you can download the call for entries and the application and declaration forms. Applications can be made by 1 June 2021.
This year’s winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony to be held during the 14th International Conference for Cultural Tourism organised by ECTN on 20-23 October 2021 in Athens, Greece.