Ode to Joy Challenge
A participatory creative and social media challenge celebrating Europe through its cultural heritage (both tangible and intangible) on the occasion of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018.
- Europa Nostra and our President, Maestro Plácido Domingo will launch this challenge to all citizens in Europe and beyond, and especially to professional and amateur musicians, dancers and other artists (young and less young);
- They will be invited to perform and make a video or audio recording of Beethoven’s & Schiller’s Ode2Joy in a wide range of styles and at a heritage site of their choice!
- As of 9 May 2018 / Europe Day: performances to be live-streamed and/or recordings to be posted on social media.
- Speak to people’s hearts & minds;
- Unlock creativity & positive attitude with regard to the European project;
- Involve schools & the youth: teach/promote Europe as a humanistic and cultural project, based on shared values, history & heritage.
- 31 January 2018: Ode2Joy Challenge launch announcement by video message from Maestro Plácido Domingo, simultaneously on numerous social media platforms & websites;
- February-April 2018: imaginative and dynamic promotion of the Ode2Joy Challenge & mobilisation of a large range of supporters/contributors (heritage sites, networks, artists, schools & the general public);
- 9 May 2018 / Europe Day: Focal point of the Ode2Joy Challenge with as many performances/contributions as possible from across Europe (and beyond) to be live streamed or recorded and posted on social media;
- 9 May – 22 June (European Cultural Heritage Summit in Berlin): on-going promotion of the challenge + special occasion during the Summit in Berlin showcasing the best contributions, and organising a high-level visit to the National Library (where the original manuscript of the Ode to Joy is kept) headed by Maestro Plácido Domingo and highest leaders of EU Institutions and civil society organisations;
- Until the end of 2018 & beyond: results of the Ode2Joy Challenge will stay available (via creative commons license) & new performances/recording will continuously be encouraged and added.